Recovery Payments – Non-Invasive Vascular Diagnostic Studies
|Date:||May 13, 2019|
|To:||Health Plan of San Joaquin (HPSJ) Practitioners and Providers and Dialysis Clinics|
|From:||HPSJ Claims Department|
|Subject:||Recovery Payments – Non-Invasive Vascular Diagnostic Studies|
HPSJ recently identified a system issue which may have caused erroneous payments on specific codes for Non-Invasive Vascular Diagnostic Studies (NVDS).
We will be updating our system to reflect the Medi-Cal frequency guidelines, as it pertains to these services and requesting recoveries on claims where the plan paid in error.
Below is a brief description of the codes and billing frequency limitations. For more information please visit the Department of Health Care Services Medi-Cal website, https://medi-cal.gov and search Medicine: Non-Invasive Vascular Diagnostic Studies
Non-Invasive Vascular Diagnostic Studies
CPT-4 codes 93880 – 93931, 93970 – 93998
• Should be used to bill for NVDS, for males age 21 years and older
CPT-4 codes 93980 and 93981
• Authorization is required for these codes
Billing Frequency Limitations
- For CPT-4 codes 93880 – 93931, 93970 – 93981 and 93990
- Only one NVDS is reimbursable when billed by the same provider, for the same
recipient and same date of service.
- Reimbursement for an NVDS is not to exceed the price on file for the complete
test if both the complete and limited test procedure codes of the same service
are billed by the same provider, for the same recipient and same date of
Non-Invasive Vascular Diagnostic Studies (NVDS) M 2019
- For CPT-4 codes 93880 – 93888 and 93925 – 93931, 93970 – 93979
- Billing frequency is limited to two per consecutive 12-month period, per code,
by any provider, for the same recipient.
- Billing frequency is limited to four procedures per consecutive 12-month
period, per code, by any provider, for the same recipient.
- Must be billed “By Report.”
For CPT-4 codes 93890, 93892 and 93893
CPT-4 code 93998
If you have questions, please contact our Customer Service Department at 209-942-6320.
Health Plan of San Joaquin is dedicated to providing all members the best health care
available in the most effective and efficient manner. Thank you for being one of our valued
REMINDER: If not already submitting your billings electronically (EDI) and not receiving your
payments deposited directly into your bank account (EFT) and receiving your remittance
advice (RA) electronically (ERA), please call your Provider Services Representative today
By signing up for EDI, EFT and ERA services, you typically receive your payments 2-3 days
CLAIMS CORNER – A (mostly) monthly newsletter brought to you by Health Plan of San
Joaquin. Find timely tips and news at hpsj4.wpengine.com/providers/