Communication Matters – Exchange of Information between Hospitals and PCPs Post-discharge
|Date:||April 17, 2020|
|To:||HPSJ Contracted Hospitals|
|From:||HPSJ Utilization Management Department|
|Subject:||Communication Matters – Exchange of Information between Hospitals and PCPs Post-discharge|
Joint Commission standards require that the following information be shared with the PCPs at the time of the discharge:
- Reason(s) for hospitalization
- Significant findings/events during the inpatient stay
- Procedures performed and care, treatment, and services provided
- Patient’s condition at the time of discharge
- Information/education provided to the patient and their caregiver
WHAT WE ASK FROM YOU:
- Ensure that hospital records indicate updated PCP contact information.
- Implement effective mechanisms to deliver documented discharge summaries to the correct PCPs in a timely manner.
- Ensure that PCPs will have access to this patient discharge information prior to the patient’s 14-day follow up visit.
- Educate patients on the importance of sharing their medical information with their PCPs and encourage them to complete a “release of information” form.
If you have questions about factors that limit your ability to share information, please call
HPSJ at 209-942-6320 so we can help.
California Surgeon General’s Playbook
Stress Relief during COVID-19 Now available