California Smokers’ Helpline
Smoking is a risk factor for the development of heart disease, lung disease, cancer, and type 2 diabetes. The California Smokers’ Helpline (1-800-NO-BUTTS) is a free statewide quit smoking service operated by the University of California San Diego’s Moore’s Cancer Center.
For more information visit the California Smoker’s Helpline webste at www.nobutts.org/Medi-Cal.
The Helpline offers self-help materials, referral to local programs, and one-on-one telephone counseling to quit smoking. The Helpline also provides information for friends and family members of tobacco users.
Reasons to Quit
Becoming smoke free gives you so much to look forward to, including:
Smoking has a major negative impact on your physical health. As soon as you quit you will start to see improvements.
- In 8 hours Excess carbon monoxide is out of your blood.
- In 5 days Most nicotine is out of your body.
- In 1 week Your sense of taste and smell improves.
- In 1 month Your immune system starts to recover and you are less vulnerable to disease.
- In 3 months Your lungs regain the ability to clean themselves.
- In 12 months Your risk of heart disease caused by smoking has halved.
- In 5 years Your risk of a stroke has dramatically
Posted on July 23rd, 2015 and last modified on July 23rd, 2015.