HPSJ Health Articles Library
View the latest HPSJ health articles on fitness, diet, nutrition, medicine, diseases and healthy living.
- HPSJ HEALTHY SMILES Program Established 2015, San Joaquin & Stanislaus Counties October 21, 2019
- Flu Season is Coming – It’s best to get your flu shot early September 6, 2019
- Test your cholesterol smarts August 13, 2019
- HPSJ Celebrates Men’s Health with a Reminder to ALL GUYS – Get critical exams & screenings July 9, 2019
- Summer Safety Sense – Avoiding Deadly Heat Sicknesses June 13, 2019
- With Measles Cases Rising, Advice from Health Plan of San Joaquin May 3, 2019
- Adult Vaccines: 7 reasons to roll up your sleeve April 8, 2019
Community Health Education and Engagement Referral Program (CHEER)
Health Plan of San Joaquin is dedicated to helping members stay healthy and happy. We provide services and programs that help members manage their health. We have partnered with organizations in our community to provide members with quality health education classes to achieve and maintain healthy lifestyles and promote positive health outcomes.
Referral Process How does a member enroll in a class?
A member can enroll or can be referred by their doctor. To enroll:
Community Health Education Programs
Health Education classes are FREE to members of Health Plan of San Joaquin. If you require help in a language other than English, 24-hour interpreter services are available.
HPSJ’s Prenatal Health Program
(Birthing classes, health tips, and more)
Chronic Disease, Self-Management Program
(Better Choices, Better Health® Workshop)
The Chronic Disease Self-Management Program is a workshop given two and a half hours, once a week, for six weeks, in community settings. People with different chronic health problems attend together. Workshops are facilitated by two trained leaders, one or both of whom are non-health professionals with chronic diseases themselves.
- Techniques to deal with problems such as frustration, fatigue, pain and isolation,
- Appropriate exercise for maintaining and improving strength, flexibility, and endurance
- Appropriate use of medications
- Communicating effectively with family, friends, and health professionals
- Decision making
- How to evaluate new treatments
(Group and telephonic counseling)
Health Plan of San Joaquin provides individual, group and telephonic counseling for members of any age who use tobacco products. Primary Care Physician’s (PCPs) provide individual counseling and can refer members to the CA Smoking Cessation Program for telephonic counseling. We help members including teens, pregnant smokers, and tobacco chewers to quit smoking.
The California Smokers’ Helpline is a free stop smoking program that doubles your chance of quitting for good. Enrollment into a program qualifies members for 3 months of Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT). They have lots of tools to help you. If you would like free assistance by talking to someone please visit this link. To Text, click here , For Spanish: https://www.nobutts.org/spanish.
Providers, to refer patients to the California smoke helpline please visit this link.
Disease Management Programs
(For members with confirmed diagnosis. )