In this time of COVID-19 and shelter at home, it has never been more vital to remember: The food you put in your body not only keeps you healthy and ready for each day, it helps boost your immune system.
If you don’t have fresh food, the American Heart Association has some great tips to keep your choices healthy:
- Watch for sodium – Check labels on canned food and choose the low sodium or no salt added labels. Draining and rinsing canned veggies also helps.
- Watch out for added sugar – Fruits can come in water, juice, or syrup. Choose fruits in water when you can and rinse fruits that come in syrup.
- Frozen fruits and veggies – These choices are picked at the peak of their season so they can be very high in nutrition. Check for sodium on labels and choose 100% frozen fruits with no added sugar.
If you’re looking for some healthy recipes using frozen, canned, or fresh fruits and veggies, CalFresh Healthy Living has great, easy to follow recipes perfect for you and your family. Find them at http://calfresh.dss.ca.gov/cfhl/eating-healthy
If you receive WIC, don’t forget to get your new California WIC Card. You can get fresh fruits and veggies for you and your family! Contact your local WIC office –
- San Joaquin County: http://www.breastfeedsjc.org/Which_WIC_June2019.pdf
- Stanislaus County: http://www.schsa.org/PublicHealth/mainpages/wic/offices.shtm or text “scwchat” to 85511
Due to current COVID-19 concerns, please call your local WIC office before going to check on the status of appointments.
Learn more about the new California WIC card here: